Articles Comments

Intel Pentium B950 Vs Core i3-2330M

The Core i3-2330M takes a substantial lead in performance with respect to the Pentium B950 with a higher clock frequency ( 2.20 GHz Vs 2.10 GHz) and Hyperthreading Support.

Both these processors belong to the same Sandy Bridge group of processors. The Hyperthreading brings about an improvement of the order of 10% in core i3. The frequency bump brings another 5% improvement. So in overall we are looking for a close to 15% performance improvement in core i3-2330M with respect to Pentium B950.

The Core i3-2330M comes with a much better HD Graphics 3000 as integrated graphics. The Pentium B950 comes with inferior HD Graphics 2000. The number of the Execution units in the HD Graphics 3000 is double than the number of EUs in the HD Graphics 2000( 12 EUs Vs 6 EUs), which makes a difference in the GPU performance.

Given the small price difference between the B950 and the core i3-2330M, you may be tempted for the latter.

Table : Feature Differences

Feature Intel Pentium B950 Core i3-2330M
Core Frequency
2.1 GHz 2.20 GHz
No. Of Cores
2 ( No Hyperthreading) 2 (4 Hyperthreads)
Cache Organization
2 MB L3 3 MB L3 Smart Cache
Turbo Frequency
No Turbo No Turbo
TDP Rating  35 Watts 35 Watts
64 Bit Support
Y Y
Lithography
32 nm 32 nm
Integrated Memory Controller
DDR3-1333 DDR3-1333
Integrated Graphics
Yes, 650 MHz Base, 1.1 GHz Max Yes, Base 650 MHz, Turbo 1.10 GHz

 

Some more details of Intel Pentium B950

Based upon Sandy Bridge architecture Pentium B950 is the elder brother of the more populate Pentium B940 processor. If we wish to compare Performance wise, it is better than the Arrandale Pentium processors aka, Pentium P6100 and P6200). The Hyperthreading in B950 ( as well as the Turbo Boost )is disabled in the Pentium B950, which leads to lower performance than the similarly clocked second generation Core i3 sandy bridge processor.

Some more details of Core i3-2330M

The Core i3-2330M marginally improves upon the core i3-2310M and should therefore offer a performance improvement of the order of 4%. The turbo boost is not available with core i3-2330M which will reduce its performance as compared to the core i5 processors. The graphics performance is decent with Intel’s integrated graphics 3000.

In the next post we will compare the benchmark results of these two processors.

You may also like to check

- Informal discussion of B950 VsĀ  Core i3-2330M at forum

- Integrated Graphics – Intel HD Graphics 3000.

Related posts:

  1. Intel Pentium B950 Vs Core i3
  2. Intel Pentium B950 Vs Core i3-370M
  3. Intel Pentium B950 Vs Core i3-330M
  4. Intel Pentium B950 Vs Pentium B940

4 Response

  1. ravi says:

    Which one do you recommend?
    Asus X Series X54H-SX227D price INR24.2k
    Processor 2nd Generation Core i3
    Variant 2310M
    Chipset Intel HM65
    Brand Intel
    Clock Speed 2.1 GHz
    Cache 3 MB
    System Memory 2 GB DDR3
    Graphic Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000
    HDMI Yes

    Asus X54H-SX136D INR20.7K
    Processor Pentium Dual Core
    Variant B950
    Chipset Intel HM65 Express Chipset
    Brand Intel
    Clock Speed 2.1 GHz
    Cache 2 MB
    2 GB RAM
    NO HDMI

    Required for browsing, watching movies, songs and MS Office.

    Thanks!!

  2. admin says:

    From what you plan to do, the Pentium B950 is enough. You save few bucks that you can invest in future for upgrade.

    Notice, however, that the Core i3-2310M also comes with quick sync feature absent in B950. This makes the video encoding ( if you wish to process a lot of video) faster. For normal browsing, watching movies, songs and MS Office you will really not feel great degree of difference.

    1. Sam says:

      Hi,
      Can you please help me out which will be better for using AutoCAD Civil3D or Solid Works Designing Softwares, will it be:-

      1.Asus X Series X54H-SX227D(2nd Gen Inteli3 2330M)

      2.Asus X54H-SX136D(2nd Gen Intel Dual Core B950)

      Please do reply, any suggestions are most welcome…..

      My Requirements with a laptop includes:-
      1. For usages of Designing softwares from Bentley or AutoDesk
      2. For Surfing and Browsing Internet
      3. Online Lectures and reading
      4. And ofcourse MS Office

  3. jack all says:

    Hi Sam,

    See my comments below

    1. For usages of Designing softwares from Bentley or AutoDesk
    - Core i3-2330M is better

    2. For Surfing and Browsing Internet
    - Does not matter
    3. Online Lectures and reading
    - Does not matter
    4. And ofcourse MS Office
    - Does not matter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>