What is the difference between jelly bean and ICS

What is the difference between jelly bean and ICS

Postby noob » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:12 am

I'm debating on whether to get an android tablet powered by Jelly Bean or Ice Cream Sandwich.. I'm not sure how the price will vary for the OS..
I only have one question- what's the difference between android jelly bean and ice cream sandwich?

I've heard that there are minor improvements (from ICS to Jelly Bean) and I want to know if Jelly Bean is worth the price.
Also, what are some android tablets that I should be able to upgrade to the Jelly Bean OS [Android]?
noob

Re:

Postby alex » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Jelly bean is name of the the new upgrade of the Android. The exact version 4.1 bring incremental improvements in the Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0. Jelly Bean first starts with Google's Nexus 7 tablet among other.

The Jelly Bean brings following improvements

1. Makes viewing photo faster. Sharing and bragging photos, according to google - " are a breeze".
2. Smarter keyboard - The algo is smarter and its dictionary is more accurate. Better predicts words being typed. The text to speed is improved. Voice detection is better - you can even use voice to record text - more accurately.
3. Android Beam - Jelly Bean makes sharing photos and videos faster with just a simple tap.

And many more.
alex

Re:

Postby Digi » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:16 pm

To add to alex's post, Jelly Bean also includes;

- Widget Re-sizing : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncp2W1CulNE
- Voice Typing
- User Search Interface redesigned
- Improved Notification

Also, let us not forget Google Now:

alex wrote:3. Android Beam - Jelly Bean makes sharing photos and videos faster with just a simple tap.

It's just an enhancement.
Digi

Re:

Postby ramanarolla » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:50 am

The Jelly Bean is definitely credited with some of the good features that are lacking with ICS. Importantly, the latest Android 4.1 S is coming with improved touch experience, expandable notifications, possibility to re-size widgets apps, more Google features, latest camera App, beam feature, and many more. I just can't wait to experience all the expected new features in it.
ramanarolla

Re:

Postby Digi » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50 pm

ramanarolla wrote:The Jelly Bean is definitely credited with some of the good features that are lacking with ICS. Importantly, the latest Android 4.1 S is coming with improved touch experience, expandable notifications, possibility to re-size widgets apps, more Google features, latest camera App, beam feature, and many more. I just can't wait to experience all the expected new features in it.

What is Android 4.1 "S"? Or was the "S" just a typo?
Also, I wouldn't say Jelly Bean got additional features that were missed in Ice Cream Sandwich.

Jelly bean (like I stated in my post above) only includes updates that will enhance the user-experience of the smartphone or tablet.
Sometime that I'll truly miss if it was not included was the smile detection from Android 4.0 ICS (I'll miss it because I have software installed on my laptop, so i'll miss it with my phone/tablet)
Digi

Re:

Postby vishu » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:23 am

Why is it named Jelly Bean ?
vishu

Re:

Postby hubert » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:27 am

vishu wrote:Why is it named Jelly Bean ?

Good question. If you look at the previous versions of the Android releases, you will notice thay Google has named them after American sweets and desserts .

Do whe had

Android Gingerbread,
Honeycomb
Ice Cream Sandwich
Jelly Beans

So what could be next - somewhere down the road we may have American Pie ?
hubert

Re:

Postby vishu » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:30 am

Which devices have the Jelly Bean ?
vishu

Re:

Postby hubert » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:31 am

vishu wrote:Which devices have the Jelly Bean ?

The Nexus 7 tablet, is obviously the first one to get the Jelly Bean. The other devices that are getting Jelly Bean are Samsung Galaxy Nexus , the older Nexus S, and the Motorola Xoom tablet. Notice that Google has already unified the Tablet and the phone OS with ICS.
hubert

Re:

Postby Digi » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:19 pm

vishu wrote:Why is it named Jelly Bean ?

I think you really wanted to know why it was not called Android 4.1 Ice Cream Sandwich.. (...and why it was called Android 4.1 Jelly Bean)
They introduced a few minor features including some larger ones but they weren't enough hence the name Jelly Bean, but the code number jumped up from 4.x.x to 4.1.x.

hubert wrote:The Nexus 7 tablet, is obviously the first one to get the Jelly Bean. The other devices that are getting Jelly Bean are Samsung Galaxy Nexus , the older Nexus S, and the Motorola Xoom tablet. Notice that Google has already unified the Tablet and the phone OS with ICS.

I hope that the Samsung Galaxy S3 will receive a Jelly Bean update soon.
Digi

Next

Return to Off Topic