– The core i7-3820 is Sandy Bridge E processor while the Core i7-2600K is a regular Sandy Bridge processor.
– The i7-3820 requires LGA 2011 socket while the i7-2600K will fit in regular LGA 1155 socket. The i7-3820 will require a more expensive motherboard. You may like to take a look at the difference between the difference between the LGA 2011 and LGA 1155.
– The four channel memory controller in i7-3820 gives you great memory transfer performance as compared to the dual channel memory controller in channel i7-2600K.
– The i7-3820 is priced competitively at $285 – lower than the $317 for the Core i7-2600K. However, the i7-2600K will fit in regular mother board while the i7-3820 will require LGA 2011 – which has lower volume – making the motherboard plus processor more expensive
– However, the i7-3820 is the least expensive of the Sandy Bridge E processors that fits in LGA 2011 – making it a a good deal for $285.
– Core i7-3820 does not come with any integrated graphics. The i7-2600K has integrated graphics – Intel HD 3000.
– The i7-3820 has limited overclocking while the i7-2600K is fully unclockable part.
– The slightly higher clock frequency of the i7-3820, a higher Cache and quad core memory gives i7-3820 slight edge over the i7-2600K in their NATIVE CLOCKS ( without overclocking).
Table : Core i7-3820 Vs Core i7-2600K Feature Differences
|Feature||Core i7-3820||Core i7-2600K|
|Core Frequency||3.6 GHz||3.40 Ghz|
|No. Of Cores||4 ( 8 Hyperthreads)||4 ( 8 Hyperthreads)|
|Cache Organization||10 MB L3||8 MB L3 Smart Cache|
|Turbo Frequency||3.9 GHz||3.8 GHz ( with one core)|
|TDP Rating||130 Watts||95 Watts|
|64 Bit Support||Y||Y|
|Lithography||32 nm||32 nm|
|Integrated Memory Controller||DDR3 ( 4 Channel)||DDR3-1333|
|Integrated Graphics||No GPU||HD Graphics 3000 Base 850 MHz, Turbo 1.35 GHz|
Table : Core i7-3820 Vs Core i7-2600K Benchmarking Comparison
|Benchmarks||Core i7-3820||Core i7-2600K|
| PassMark Score
| 7 Zip Benchmark ( Higher is Better)
| Cinebench 11.5 ( Single Threaded)
| Cinebench 11.5 ( Multi Threaded)
Some more details of Core i7-3820
The Core i7-3820 is DIFFERENT from other core i7 Sandy Bridge processors. It is a part of the Sandy Bridge E-Series and has a bigger LGA 2011 socket. It will require a different and expensive motherboard to support LGA 2011 socket. The regular Sandy Bridge processors have Dual Channel DDR3 lanes, while this one has quad core DDR3 lane making the memory transfer fast. The processor has been priced competitively at $285.
Some more details of Core i7-2600K
The core i7-2600K is the overclockable version of the Core i7-2600, which otherwise is has same base frequency. The higher passmark score of the core i7-2600K reflects the fact the people have submitted more overclocked score without mentioning it. This second generation processor is great if you want extreme performance and over clocking ability. Its integrated graphics may be good enough for small to medium end gaming as well as video encoding and 1080p display.
The clock frequency of the integrated graphics stands at 650 MHz that can ramp to 1.35 GHz. The graphics boost works in tandem with main processor turbo boost, with the intention of keeping the total heat generated in control.
We highly recommend reading Sandy Bridge Architecture, since Core i7-2600K is part of it.