- The Core i3-2350M does not support turbo boost while the A6-3420M supports turbo Core, something similar to turbo boost in Core i5 and Core i7 Intel processors. With Turbo Core, the processor cores can increase their clock frequency for a short duration of time if the application so require.
- The Core i3-2350M has slight edge in the processor performance. The Windows 7 Experience Index ( a crude bennchmark) of A6-3420M at 6.7 same as that for Core i3-2350M.
- The A6-3420M has a significantly better integrated graphics than that of the Core i3-2350M ans seen in the AMD radeon hd 6520g vs HD 3000 integrated graphics comparison. The HD 6520G is the integrated graphics in A6-3420M while the HD 3000 is the integrated graphics in Core i3-2350M.
In overall, the AMD’s A6-3420M could tun o better than the Intel’s Core i3-2350M.
Table : Feature Differences
|Feature||Core i3-2350M||AMD A6-3420M|
|Core Frequency||2.30 GHz||1.5 Ghz|
|No. Of Cores||2 (4 Hyperthreads)||4|
|Cache Organization||3 MB L3 Smart Cache||4 MB L2 cache|
|Turbo Frequency||No Turbo||2.4 Ghz|
|TDP Rating||35 Watts||35|
|64 Bit Support||Y||Y|
|Integrated Memory Controller||DDR3-1333||DDR3-1333|
|Integrated Graphics||Yes, Base 650 MHz, Turbo 1.10 GHz||Radeon HD 6520G, 320 shaders, 400 MHz|
Some more details of Core i3-2350M
The core i3-2350M is clocked at 2.30 GHz and is the fastest core i3 processor available at the time of writing ( core i3-2370M is not yet launched). There is no change with respect to the core i3-2330M ( the Sandy Bridge procesor, just below it in frequency).
Some more details of AMD A6-3420M
The AMD A6-3420M bumps up the clock frequency by 100 MHz. This should make it better performing than many of the Core i3 Sandy Bridge processor and brings it closer to some of the Core i5 Sandy Bridge processors. The Integrated Graphics in the A6-3420M is much better than the Intel’s HD Graphics 3000 and supports DirectX11. A great graphics at low power could be the best reason for you to consider A6-3420M
In the next page we will look at the processor benchmark of these two processors.
Further Suggested Reading
1. We strongly suggest that you check out Sandy Bridge Architecture and the Llano APU Architecture , since these architectures drive the Core i3-2350M and the A6-3420M respectively.
2. List of AMD Llano notebook APUS
3. List of Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5 notebook processors.
4. If you have more questions or curiosity, jump to forum and ask there.
If you are looking at better CPU you may want to take a look at the Intel’s Core i5-2450M, but that too has the same graphics as the i3-2350M and AMD’s Llano A6-3420M will still lead in integrated graphics.