The FX-8150 has a street price of $239 while the Core i7-2600K is priced at $324. Is the extra price for the i7-2600K justified ?
Table : AMD FX-8150 Vs Core i7-2600K Feature Differences
|Feature||AMD FX-8150||Core i7-2600K|
|Core Frequency||3.60 GHz||3.40 GHz|
|No. Of Cores||8||4 ( 8 Hyperthreads)|
|Cache Organization||4 x 2MB L2 and Upto 8 MB L3||8 MB L3 Smart Cache|
|Turbo Frequency||4.20 GHz ( 4 Cores), 3.90 GHz ( 8 Cores)||3.8 GHz ( with one core)|
|TDP Rating||125 Watts||95 Watts|
|64 Bit Support||Y||Y|
|Lithography||32 nm||32 nm|
|Integrated Memory Controller||DDR3-1866||DDR3-1333|
|Integrated Graphics||None||HD Graphics 3000 Base 850 MHz, Turbo 1.35 GHz|
- In CPU performance, the Core i5-2600K has slight edge over the FX-8150, owing to its better architecture.
- The Core i7-2600K, however, comes with integrated graphics ( HD Graphics 3000). Depending upon what you want to do with the graphics, it may or may not be useful for you. If you are not into cutting edge gaming, the HD graphics 3000 is good enough for high resolution display ( including dual displays) as well as encoding and decoding.
- If you have to buy a separate gaming card anyway, the FX-8150 provides a better option. In the price of Core i7-2600K you get a FX-8150 plus a decent graphics card. You loose a little bit processor performance, but the huge gain with the graphics more than offsets it.
Table : AMD FX-8150 Vs Core i7-2600K Benchmarking Comparison
|Benchmarks||AMD FX-8150||Core i7-2600K|
| PassMark CPU Mark Score
| Super Pi 2M (Lower in better)
||Not available||Not available|
| 3D Mark 06 CPU
| Windows 7 Experience Score
Some more details of AMD FX-8150
The AMD’s FX-8150 is an 8 Core bulldozer processor that will perform great, especially in cases where all 8 of its core can be put into use. It supports Turbo boost and can be overclocked. The bulldoze architecture is based upon modules – with each module having two integer cores. Each of these two core have their own L1 Data Cache.
Some more details of Core i7-2600K
The core i7-2600K is the overclcockable version of the Core i7-2600, which otherwise is has same base frequency. The higher passmark score of the core i7-2600K reflects the fact the people have submitted more overclocked score without mentioning it. This second generation processor is great if you want extreme performance and over clocking ability. Its integrated graphics may be good enough for small to medium end gaming as well as video encoding and 1080p display.
The clock frequency of the integrated graphics stands at 650 MHz that can ramp to 1.35 GHz. The graphics boost works in tendem with main processor turbo boost, with the intention of keeping the total heat generated in control.
Further Suggested Readings
- Since Core i7-2600K belong to Sandy Bridge, we recommend that you take a looks at the Sandy Bridge Architecture.
- The FX-8150 belongs to Bulldozer Series. Take a looks at the Bulldozer Architecture.