– In the Table below we have captured the difference between the FX-4170 and the FX-8150, both of which belong to the AMD’s bulldozer series.
Table : AMD FX-4170 Vs AMD FX-8150 Feature Differences
|Feature||AMD FX-4170||AMD FX-8150|
|Core Frequency||4.10 GHz||3.60 GHz|
|No. Of Cores||4||8|
|Cache Organization||8 MB L3, 4 MB L2||4 x 2MB L2 and Upto 8 MB L3|
|Turbo Frequency||2-core 4.3 GHz, 4-core 4.4 GHz||4.20 GHz ( 4 Cores), 3.90 GHz ( 8 Cores)|
|TDP Rating||125 Watts||125 Watts|
|64 Bit Support||Y||Y|
|Lithography||32 nm||32 nm|
|Integrated Memory Controller||DDR3-1866||DDR3-1866|
– The FX-4170 is a 4 core processor while the FX-8150 is an 8 core processor.
– The base clock of the FX-4170 is 4.10 GHz making it fast for most 4 threaded applications. But the 8 cores at 3.60 GHz makes FX-8150 faster, especially in highly threaded applications.
– The Bulldozer processors do not come with Integrated graphics. You may like to check the AMD’s Llano Series or the Intel’s Sandy Bridge Series if you are looking for processors with integrated graphics.The Intel’s overclockable Core i5-2500K is a good processor if you can live with its Integrated HD graphics 3000.
– The FX-4170 is priced at $139 Vs $239 for FX-8150 ( at the time of writing).
Table : AMD FX-4170 Vs AMD FX-8150 Benchmarking Comparison
|Benchmarks||AMD FX-4170||AMD FX-8150|
| PassMark CPU Mark Score
| Super Pi 2M (Lower in better)
||Not available||Not available|
| 3D Mark 06 CPU
| Windows 7 Experience Score
Some more details of AMD FX-4170
AMD’s FX 4170 increases the clock speed to 4.10 GHz making it the fastest quad core bulldozer processor. The FX-4170 takes on the Intel’s Sandy Bridge Core i5 processors but does not come with Integrated Graphics. The Llano APUs or the forthcoming Trinity APUs from AMD could be better choices if you are looking for integrated graphics performance.
Some more details of AMD FX-8150
The AMD’s FX-8150 is an 8 Core bulldozer processor that will perform great, especially in cases where all 8 of its core can be put into use. It supports Turbo boost and can be overclocked. The bulldoze architecture is based upon modules – with each module having two integer cores. Each of these two core have their own L1 Data Cache.
Further Suggested Readings
Since both these processors belong to Bulldozer Series, we recommend that you take a looks at the Bulldozer Architecture.