- The AMD’s A8-3820 is a quad core processor while the i3-2100 is dual core.
- The A8-3820 is clocked slightly lower, but we should compare it with the fact that A8-3820 is quad core.
- The A8-3820 supports Turbo boost, that i3-2100 does not.
- The A8-3820 has Radeon HD 6550D GPU while the Core i3-2100 comes with HD Graphics 3000. The performance of the Radeon HD 6550D GPU is much better than HD Graphics 2000.
- The CPU performance of the A8-3820 will come out better only when all 4 of its core are used ( like in video encoding). Otherwise core i3-2100 is equal or better in low threaded environment.
Table : AMD A8-3820 Vs Core i3-2100 Feature Differences
|Feature||AMD A8-3820||Core i3-2100|
|Core Frequency||2.5 GHz||3.10 GHz|
|No. Of Cores||4/4 No HyperThreading||2 (4 Hyperthreads)|
|Cache Organization||4 MB L2 cache||3 MB L3 Smart Cache|
|Turbo Frequency||2.80 GHz||No Turbo|
|TDP Rating||65 Watts||65 Watts|
|64 Bit Support||Y||Y|
|Integrated Memory Controller||DDR3-1866||DDR3-1333|
|Integrated Graphics||Radeon HD 6550D GPU at 600 MHz ,s 400 shader units||Yes, Base 850 MHz, Turbo 1.10 GHz|
Table : AMD A8-3820 Vs Core i3-2100 Benchmarking Comparison
|Benchmarks||AMD A8-3820||Core i3-2100|
| PassMark CPU Mark Score
| Super Pi 2M (Lower in better)
||Not available||Not available|
|3D Mark 06 CPU||Not available||3670|
| Windows 7 Experience Score
Some more details of AMD A8-3820
The A8-3820 bumps up the speed of the A8-3800 before the Trinity chips arrive. With Turbo boost feature available, this should give slight bump to the performance but it is still not comparable to the best selling core i5 ( for example core i5-2500K) Sandy Bridge processors.
Some more details of Core i3-2100
The Core i3-2100 is the second generation Intel Core i3 processor improving significantly upon the architecture that evolved from Arrandale. Although turbo boost is not available in the core i3-2100 ( The newer turbo 2.0 technology, that increases the time for which processor can be in the boosted state, is available only on the second generation core i5 and i7 processors), the processor still shows significant performance improvement over similarly clocked 1st generation core i3 processor. The more significant improvement has been in the area of integrated graphics unit.
Further Suggested Readings
The i3-2100 belongs to Sandy Bridge. Check out the Sandy Bridge Architecture.
The A8-3820 belongs to the Llano Series. Take a look at at the Llano Architecture.