1. The Llano fusion processor ( amd calls it APU) – A8-3500M is quad core, while the Intel’s i5-2430M is dual core.
2. The Comparison of the two can be divided in two parts – processor section and the integrated graphics section.
3. In processor performance, the i5-2430M is better than the A8-3500M with better architecture and higher clock frequency. However, the gap reduces for multithreaded scenario where the application(s) take advantage of all the 4 cores of the A8-3500M.
3. The integrated graphics in A8-3500M is however, better than integrated graphics is Core i5-3500M. You may like to check the AMD Radeon HD 6620G Vs HD Graphics 3000. ( Radeon HD 6620G is the integrated graphics in A8-3500M while the HD Graphics 3000 is the integrated graphics in i5-2430M).
4. If ( the integrated) graphics performance is you main concern, yo may be better off with the A8-3500M. Otherwise, the i5-2430M ( possibly with an external discrete graphics) will be a better choice.
Table : AMD A8-3500M Vs Core i5-2430M Feature Differences
|Feature||AMD A8-3500M||Core i5-2430M|
|Core Frequency||1.5Ghz||2.40 GHz|
|No. Of Cores||4||2 (4 Hyperthreads)|
|Cache Organization||4MB L2 Cache||3 MB L3 Smart Cache|
|Turbo Frequency||2.4GHz||3.0 GHz|
|TDP Rating||35||35 Watts|
|64 Bit Support||Y||Y|
|Integrated Memory Controller||DDR3L-1333||DDR3-1333|
|Integrated Graphics||Yes, Radeon HD 6620G||HD Graphics 3000, Base 650 MHz, Turbo 1.20 GHz|
Table : AMD A8-3500M Vs Core i5-2430M Benchmarking Comparison
|Benchmarks||AMD A8-3500M||Core i5-2430M|
| PassMark Score
| Super Pi 2M (Lower in better)
||81 seconds||31.5 seconds|
| 3D Mark 06 CPU
| Windows 7 Experience Score
Some more details of AMD A8-3500M
The AMD A8-3500M is a quad-core processor codenamed as Llano. It is designed for mid-range notebooks. The base frequency of this laptop is 1.5 GHz. The turbo boost technology of the processor can over clock it up to 2.4 GHz successfully basing on temperature conditions and core usage. The processor got integrated Radeon HD 6620G graphics card in it. The integrated memory controller of the processor can support DDR3 (L)-1333 memory and PCle 2.0 controller. The TDP of the processor is 35 watt. This processor is latest for the market and released on June 14th of 2011. This processor got 4 cores and 4 threads in it.
Some more details of Core i5-2430M
The core i5-2430M is the 2nd generation Intel Core i5 processor ( Sandy Bridge Processor). Its turbo boost feature ( can raise its clock all way to 3.0 GHz) and the integrated graphics makes it a substantially fast